Quick test: Viltrox IV adapter with NEX-6

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
davelok Senior Member • Posts: 2,102
Quick test: Viltrox IV adapter with NEX-6

I received the Viltrox EF-NEX IV adapter today, and upgraded its firmware to 1.5.  I have done some quick autofocus tests of the adapter indoors with my EF mount lenses on my NEX-6 (the only Sony camera I have presently). I have also used this camera with the Viltrox II adapter earlier, but as expected, Autofocus did not work (except for one honourable exception).

The Viltrox IV offers two focus modes - Contrast Detection (CDAF), and (PDAF), which are selectable with a switch on the adapter. However, the selection cannot be changed on the fly. The cumbersome method of switching between CDAF and PDAF is:

1. Change the switch position while the lens and adapter are mounted and the camera is turned on

2. Turn off camera

3. Unmount adapter

4. Remount adapter

5. Turn camera on

This is sure to wear out mount contacts quickly, and not highly recommended.

So here are the results, which are a mixed bag:

Firstly, on the NEX-6, the Viltrox IV (and II) offers only AF-S, i.e. Single Shot autofocus.  AF-C (continuous AF / AI Servo) cannot be selected.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM:

CDAF: Works in AF-S mode, is able to achieve focus indoors (well lit room) in about a second. I am yet to test it outdoors in daylight (it is past midnight right now). Nine out of ten times accurate.

PDAF: Attempts to work, and gives a few false positives (green square), but doesn't focus accurately. It pulses focus thrice quickly, then settles down in an almost accurate focus position after about one or two seconds.

Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L:

CDAF: Works surprisingly quickly indoors, i.e. about one to two seconds. Accurate AF-S perhaps 8/10 times. Not tested outdoors in daylight, but wasn't able to focus accurately on a license plate about 150 ft away on a semi-lit portion of the road.

PDAF: Pulses quickly in shallow hunting mode, gives up (some false positives).

Canon EF-S 10-18mm:

CDAF: Works accurately from 10mm to 16mm (one to 1.5 seconds to focus) in AF-S, but gives up at 18mm.

PDAF: Ha ha

Tamron SP 70-300mm VC (G1):

CDAF: AF-S works about 60-70% of the time between 70-100mm, in about one or two seconds. Rarely focuses beyond that, especially beyond 200mm. Eats up battery charge very quickly.

PDAF: Ha ha. Save your battery. Focus swings to and fro, seems to almost halt at the point with the highest contrast, but carries on hunting.

Sigma 150-500mm OS:

CDAF: Works about half the time or less at 150mm, refuses to work beyond that.

PDAF: AF is out of the question.

The Viltrox IV is not much of an upgrade over the Viltrox II when it comes to older cameras like the NEX-6 (which has the first version of PDAF). However, CDAF mode works with Canon primes and allows the camera to be used as a back up for stationary objects. Some Canon zooms may work too, but not at extreme ends of the zoom range.

davelok's gear list:davelok's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P600 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +20 more
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow