Some reflections about 5-stop IBIS

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 8,688
Some reflections about 5-stop IBIS

There seems to be some mild enthusiasm about IBIS for Fuji and the 5-5.5 stops "usable" gain by way of stabilisation.

I have owned a couple of 5-stop IBIS camera, not just quickly used them at a shop, but used them for a few years, so feel I have some idea as to what works - and what doesn't.

I used first a GX8 (still secretly wished Fuji would put the angled 0.77x viewfinder into one of their models!!) and then the Pen-F. A couple of lenses I used were also stabilised.

After 2 years of using MFT - alongside Fuji - I gave up on MFT despite giving up on IBIS. My theoretical expectations as to what I could use IBIS for were simply not met by practical application. As soon as there was movement in the image, typically whenever people were in it, I discarded the photo. And there were a lot! I shot around 100 photos after dark in the streets of Hanoi with the Pen-F using shutter speeds of 1/20s-1/30s and NONE were in focus due to motion blur. This of course works for some shots where movement is ok, but on those it simply didn't. So I quickly realised that I would also need a faster shutter to take images I typically take. So I needed at least 1/60-1/100s for what I do. Nightscapes I would still prefer a tripod anyway, so this applies to handheld shots only.

And I NEVER shoot in museums, find it boring unless for testing purposes.

So where did this leave my endeavours regarding a well equipped IBIS camera?? I sold them both, although there was a lot to like about them, but found that for what I shoot and what I do a non-IBIS camera was "almost" as good.

"Almost" because I found some scenarios where I used IBIS. Inside buildings:

Peace Hotel, Shanghai

... or

Pudong, Shanghai

But these are hardly shots that I couldn't have taken with an X-T2/20/Pro2, or at least the "gap" would have been rather small

Dubai Mall 1/5s

So the real issue as I found out for what I do was the fact that as soon as there are people in the shots, IBIS was no longer of any help. Here is a shot taken with a Fuji at 1/25s, notice the woman and the bird??:

Hoi An, Vietnam

So in the end I had an extra ... what ... dozen or so "keepers" over a non-IBIS camera. I had expected this to be more!

Much more!!

Hoi An, Vietnam

So maybe it would be a great idea to step back for a minute and ask yourself as to what you shoot rather than thinking along those lines that "IBIS is always better, but never worse" than non-IBIS. I would accept that also but found that for what I do, the benefits were negligible to non-existent.

I am sure your mileage will differ from mine, but you might still consider the TRUE benefits for YOUR type of shooting.

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MAC
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow