Why is Canon mirrorless averse to video?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PhotoDiod Regular Member • Posts: 251
Why is Canon mirrorless averse to video?

Or, to rephrase is, why doesn’t Canon make a mirrorless camera with video that is on par with the competition?

• I understand that Canon has a professional line of video cameras. But I am asking about consumer APS-C and full frame lines.
  • I understand that many M users don’t do video. But many do or want to.
  • I also understand that many stills-only photographers believe that decent video will add unnecessary cost to the camera. But they have an entire lineup of models without either to choose from already.
  • I understand that Canon does not target EOS-M toward advanced amateurs or prosumers. But wouldn't consumers benefit from videos that are not subpar compared to the similarly priced Fujis, Sonys, or Olympuses?
  • I understand that some people believe that EOS-M’s video is “just fine.” But any side-by-side comparison with the competition will show that definition of “fine” in 2018 is not what it was ten years ago (see, for example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHEyW_8Ltss )
  • I understand that some particularly unpleasant individuals have taken a nasty habit of using a word “whining” in relation to anyone who has different priorities than them, and they are quick to rudely snap with, “Just buy Fuji or Sony!” But surely the nice folks at Canon Japan with their culture of respect and consideration do not speak or, hopefully, think that way of their loyal customers of many years and thousands of dollars spent on Canon lenses.

So, why doesn’t Canon make a mirrorless camera with video that is on par with the competition, at least in terms of sharpness (as the product of perceived resolution), compression, and data and frame rates?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow