Ultra wide lens for D40 (but planning to upgrade body soon)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kgrey New Member • Posts: 1
Ultra wide lens for D40 (but planning to upgrade body soon)

Hi All - I've had a D40 for close to 9 years now. For most of that time I just used it for vacations, and really didn't invest time in learning anything beyond Auto mode. But in the past year, I've started really getting into bird photography and learning how to actually use the camera and its functions. In addition to the original 18-55 kit lens, I also have the AF-S 70-300 VR.

I've been interested in doing more landscape photography too, and since I am going to Sedona/ Grand Canyon next month, I am looking to get an ultra wide lens (budget around $500 new or used).

I was originally looking at a used Nikon af-s 10-24mm, but the newer Tamron 10-24 vc has also caught my eye, especially because of the VC (so far I've been doing all of my photography handheld). The problem with the new Tamron is that it will not work with the D40.

I'm planning to upgrade my body within the next 6 mo. to a year (thinking D7200), but I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and shell out the extra $$ now to upgrade my body, so that I have compatability with some of these newer lenses. I know there is also the Nikon af-p ultra wide lens to consider, but it's not fully compatible with the d7200.

I guess my question boils down to: Assuming I get the nikon af-s 10-24 now so that I could use it with the D40, do you think I will regret choosing this lens instead of one of the newer options once I have upgraded my body?

Nikon D40 Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow