With images like these, why do people dislike on-camera direct flash so much?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
iknowadrian New Member • Posts: 9
With images like these, why do people dislike on-camera direct flash so much?

I'll preface with; i'm COMPLETELY new to flash.

When browsing images that were taken with flash I seem to be drawn to the direct on-camera flash ones the most.

Images like the below. I'm not sure why people hate direct flash so much? Are the images below considered 'bad'?

I have a Fuji X100F but have no experience with flash, was looking to pick up my first one and considering either the Fuji EF-X20 or the new cheap kid the Pixelabq Q20.

A big difference is that the Fuji can only be mounted on the camera vs the Q20 with a built-in transmitter can be used off camera. The Fuji is smaller but twice the price.

Am I missing something in regards to off-camera flash? Is there a cool effect I can achieve that I'm not seeing? Or is mainly just to get that professional studio portrait effect which is considered a great photo, but kind of boring?

If I'm going after the rock-in-off seventies direct flash look, do I just pay twice the price for the fuji because it's smaller?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X100F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow