Some toughts about high end compacts...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Veteran Member • Posts: 8,859
Some toughts about high end compacts...

As some of you know, I love my P7800. It's a great travel camera, if you can live with its shortcomings.

For me, they are:

Poor EVF (but very useful)
Lens starting at 28mm (I would like 24mm)
Slow AF (doesn't bother me much when I'm travelling)
12 MP only, which is plenty, but looks a bit small when you're used to a 24MP camera (D7200)
Weak dynamic range compared to cameras equipped with bigger sensors.
Rear wheel seems to become flimsy after some years.

The strengths are:

Outstanding fast lens: I don't know another compact with a 28-200 VR 2.0-4.0
Very good image quality, thanks to a very good sensor, and very good processor (but see above about dynamic range)
Extremely useful range
Highly customisable UI, with all main controls easily reachable with buttons
Convenient auto iso implementation
Braketing

I had a V1, which didn't give much better image quality. Sold it, and bought a J5. Outstanding AF, and much better image quality, on par with the Sonys RX100x: excellent for travel.

But the J5 lacks a VF, and if you want a bit of versatility, you have to buy the 10-100, which adds bulk, or change lenses in the field.
That's why I've been eying the Panasonic TZ-100, which has a lot of interesting features, even if its lens is slower than the P7800.
But I gave up after the reviews: the lens appears to be soft, and the overall image quality is worse than the J5.

With the TZ-200, I expected a faster lens than the TZ-100, with better optical quality, at the expense of less range.

Alas, for me, Panasonic missed the boat: the new lens has more range (24-360 vs 25-250), but is slower (F3.3-6.3 vs 2.8-5.9). Maybe the lens is sharper, but I think Panasonic did a mistake.

Who buys a compact camera nowadays? Enthusiasts, who don't want to use a smartphone as a camera, and want high image quality, in a compact they can set up to their liking.
I doubt travellers often use a 360 lens. If you're a birder, or go for a wildlife safari, you use a camera/lens combo dedicated to this specific kind of photography.

If I go back some day in South Africa, I'll take my D7200, 16-80, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS, and Nikon 70-300 AFP VR, or I'll buy a P900.

But for "normal" travel, a high end compact, with a 20MP 1' sensor, phase detect AF, a 24-200 2.0-4.0 lens and a good EVF would be perfect.

I'm sure Nikon knows how to make it. Such a camera would be more interesting than the TZ-200, and would appeal to a lot of users.

But Nikon seems to be asleep...

Just wanted to share my frustration…:-(

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon D3300 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
MOD Labe
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow