Wide angle and polarizers - lesson learnt the hard way

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Giovanni_1968
Giovanni_1968 Senior Member • Posts: 2,373
Wide angle and polarizers - lesson learnt the hard way

So,

yesterday we headed to a location north of Napoli, it has been the area where the Greeks and Romans established between 2.800 and 2.000 years ago, there are beautiful shores and hills, lakes, Roman ruins still fiercely standing after such long time as well as the building in the pic which was built end of 18th century on a project off of Neapolitan architect Luigi Vanvitelli, it was long time I wanted to visit this spot and as such we checked the weather forecast and there was this two days window of nice weather, cold but dry and sunny so we left our little island to head to Napoli first and then a train which in matter of 30 minutes took us there, I couldn't wait, I set up the tripod even tho I knew the best time would have been late afternoon but time restrictions would have not allowed us to stay so long, I checked with the 28mm end of a zoom lens I took with us for a matter of convenience but it didn't fit, I just wanted to check what it looks like with the polarizer mounted and the sky got a lot better since the sun was at a favorable angle so, with no hesitation, I mounted the 20mm and the polarizer straight away, set up the tripod and took a few shots with the rush we had to move away to see some more spots, took shots from a couple angles and one of the "Casina Vanvitelliana" with both my sis and my son in the frame.

I didn't think of removing the polarizer and take another couple shots, it looked too nice with the extra saturated sky so I dismantled it all whilst on the go and kind of thought "I should have given it another chance with no polarizer..." but it was too late and my fear confirmed true once back home late evening, on a 20mm the polarizer is a no-no, at least it this situation, no big deal but can still notice its effect but I want to hear your opinions about it before I relegate it to another piece of unused gear...

Grazie for reading and looking

-- hide signature --

Giovanni - 70% GAS affected
http://www.flickr.com/photos/giovanniaprea/
Nikon D800 - Nikon D2Xs - Fuji X-Pro1 - Fuji S5Pro - Panasonic DMC-L1 - Nikon F - Nikon F3
J.A. Michell Gyrodec - AR SP-9 - Aeron AP-890 - JBL4311B
JN70CN - 14.14.30E 40.32.40N

Giovanni_1968's gear list:Giovanni_1968's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D2Xs Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 +20 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow