larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,283
Re: 300mm f4 PF. Weather resistance?

Vince P wrote:

larrywilson wrote:

Vince P wrote:

larrywilson wrote:

Vince P wrote:

CurtG wrote:

Nikon doesn’t list this lens as dust and moisture resistant, but it does appear to have a rear seal. Does anyone have any experience with this lens in the rain they can share? I wouldn’t expect the same survivability as my 70-200 2.8, but would hope it’s better than a kit zoom.

Looking at picking one up for an upcoming trip to a wet and humid location. In the past When shooting in light rain, I’ve been ok wiping excess moisture off, but haven’t resorted to a full rain hood.

Thanks,

Edited for typo

-- hide signature --

Nikon are haphazard with listing lenses as weather sealed. It's listed here and in most reviews as weather sealed I have used it in the rain and would have no more issues with it than any other Nikkor doing it again.

-- hide signature --

Instagram @vinnypimages

None of the Nikon lenses are water sealed, most are water resistant which is very different than water sealed. In fact Nikon dslr's are only water resistant with the exception of their underwater cameras. So even if your lens is water proof, your camera probably is not.

I may use most my equipment on a light showery day without protection, only a wipe off cloth, but would use rain protection on a steady or heavy rain day.

Larry

I said weather sealed, which is how, when they do talk about it, Nikon describes them. Definitely not waterproof but, given the numbers out in all kinds of rain every day, their pro lenses and bodies can take some abuse. That said a rain cover is great, of course, if possible.

-- hide signature --

Instagram @vinnypimages

Vince, the link you referenced your comment to talked about "water resistant lenses". I didn't see "water sealed lenses" in the link. I do agree that Nikon's description on how much their equipment will with stand water is very unclear and I would rather be on the safe side than to risk a water soaked lens.

Larry

I think it refers to weather resistant, not water resistant. Here and Here they call it weather sealed. I am happy using it in the same way as any weather sealed lens but obviously it's a personal thing.

-- hide signature --

Instagram @vinnypimages

Your right it says weather resistant.  I would like to be right just once, will heck you know what I mean ha ha!!!

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Tokina AT-X 70-200mm F4 PRO FX VCM-S +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow