Canon 80D or 7D mark II?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP zman2596 Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: Canon 80D or 7D mark II?

fishy wishy wrote:

zman2596 wrote:

So would you suggest a 6D? Or try to wait for at least a 5D Mark iii. I feel like the wedding internet experts always assume you got to have the best stuff or else. My wife’s friend in Louisiana is shooting weddings now and she’s using her 60D. Details aside, she’s got 3 possibly 4 lined up in the next few months.

More to the point you should probably be asking what flash she uses. If she's disciplined with using her flash then the slightly poor high iso of the 60D may not matter. But if you're shooting under available light it's disheartening to find out hard those shots over iso 3200 are to use. I would definitely take a 6D over a 7D II despite theoretical concerns about AF points and card slots. Only thing I really like the sound of about the 80D and 7D II are the anti-flicker for shooting under fluorescent light.

I was actually curious about the whole high ISO performance vs. flash.  I shot a birthday party a few weekends ago and used bounce flash.  I turned off flash, set low ISO and around a 1/250 shutter speed so only my flash was lighting my shots.  I was actually wondering that night that if that technique is used, it's not very important what high ISO performance is.  However, weddings you end up at low light without a lot of flash coverage, or outdoors, and that's where its an issue.  Also, if you can't use flash in the ceremony.

zman2596's gear list:zman2596's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow