Old vs New, Classic DP2 vs sd Quattro lo-res

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Veteran Member • Posts: 7,752
Old vs New, Classic DP2 vs sd Quattro lo-res

I did the following comparison between these two cameras, and spent most of my time trying to get the colors to match. It is not scientific, but it seems to me that the bokeh shadow areas are nearly the same in terms of noise (back in the cabinet).

It seems that the sd Quattro has more contrast and sharpness in the vase, but the classic DP2 has better clarity in the teapot. So I really don't know which is better although I still like the DP2 better.

Using SPP, I had to reduce sharpness and contrast in the sd Quattro lo-res vs the DP2, and the white balance was different as well. SPP 6.5.4 was used to process both raws.   For the processing of the sd Quattro shot, the Crunchy slider was in the middle, as were the chroma and luminance noise reduction sliders.

Cameras were shot at ISO100, auto white balance, F4. The lens on the sd Quattro is the 24mm F1.4 Art. The DP2 shutter speed was 1/60th while the sd Quattro shutter speed was 1/80th. This could be light changing between shots. Both cameras were mounted on a tripod for this comparison.

Comparison crops were not resized. I used Photoshop Elements 13 to crop SPP output JPGs and to assemble the comparison below.

Cropped but not resized

I think my previous ranting is in error: about how the SD14/SD15 sensor delivered better image quality than the sd Quattro in lo-res. At the moment it seems to me that the image quality is very close to the same overall.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Every day a new paradigm.

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 +10 more
Sigma DP2 Sigma sd Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow