OK, where is Olympus?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,944
OK, where is Olympus?

In the past 13 months Panasonic has announced five new M4/3 cameras, while Olympus has only announced two. And both Olympus models were tepid updates of previous cameras with nothing really new and exciting to offer. Meanwhile, Panasonic has created five new models, with at least three of them being very interesting high end models (GH5, GH5s, G9).

Olympus has had two new M4/3 bodies. Panasonic has had five.

The same thing seems to be happening with lenses too.

Olympus has has two new M4/3 lenses. Panasonic has had seven.

When you consider that Olympus probably sells twice as many cameras as Panasonic does you have to wonder why Olympus is letting Panasonic take the lead.

Is Olympus resting on their laurels, or have they slashed their R&D budget so much that they can only do updates of previous models? Or, are they planning to show us something new and exciting later in the year?

I use both brands, and want both brands to prosper. And I think M4/3 is best served when both are pushing each other to improve their bodies and lenses. I'm glad Panasonic is being so aggressive with their M4/3 products, I just wish Olympus would do the same.

Am I wrong about this?

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
Panasonic GH5S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
sbu
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow