Lumix G9 User Review - Much Improved Sensor

Started 9 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rjansenbr2
Rjansenbr2 Regular Member • Posts: 416
Lumix G9 User Review - Much Improved Sensor

I have been using the G9 for a few days now and here are my first impressions.

First, it's big. DSLR big. I would really like it to be a lot smaller. To me, size is one of m43 biggest advantages against other formats. But I knew it was big before buying it. It's a con I have accepted to live with

The ergonomics are great though. The grip feels very good in my hands and I don't have big hands. All the buttons are easily accessible and you can extensively customize them.

The joystick is kind of a reach for me and the fact it doesn't move diagonally makes it very limited to use. But I am not a joystick guy anyway.

The viewfinder is excellent. I don't see the heavy pincushion people talk about. Love it.

Haven't used the small LCD yet. Still indifferent to me.

Autofocus in video seems good enough, although I haven't tested it extensively.

In stills, single autofocus is blazing fast. Haven't tested the AFC much though.

180fps is nice, but it does lose a lot in quality. And vfr mode is cumbersome to use. No autofocus (you can't even prefocus, which makes no sense to me). 4k 60p, on the other hand, is awesome.

Ibis seems top of its class. If you are careful, you can make very smooth video. For stills, I bet it's great also, but haven't push it too much yet.

The 20 megapixel sensor is a lot better than the 16 MP. I am comparing to the gx85 sensor, which I also have. There is a huge improvement in dynamic range (didn't test noise performance)

Here are a couple of examples of shadow and highlights savings:

Final edited version

Lightroom export with no adjustments

Final edited version

Final edited version

Having just seen the GX9 launch, I don't regret buying the G9, specially because of 4k 60p and VFR. But for street photography only, the GX9 would be a better choice, for its smaller size and also the swivel LCD screen.

Rjansenbr2's gear list:Rjansenbr2's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
20 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Nov 8, 2017
Rjansenbr2's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow