Which Olympus camera has the best 4K quality?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
biggles266 Senior Member • Posts: 1,077
Which Olympus camera has the best 4K quality?

As far as I know, the only two Olympus m43 cameras with 4K are the EM10 III and the EM1 II, is that right? The EM1 II is the flagship, but the EM10 III is newer, and the main problem with Olympus video is their codecs, or implementation, not their hardware. That made me wonder if the EM10 III 4K has been improved enough to beat the EM1 II, in pure video quality (not things like CAF, which I don't care about).

Are Olympus improving their video codecs all the time, and are they willing to put better quality video into a non-flagship camera, that's what I'm trying to figure out. The GX9 has disappointed me so much I'm considering moving to the EM5 III for 4K video if it improves another level again, and move away from Panasonic. Currently I use the GX8 for video, and it's good, but I really want IBIS in the future, and I only like the look of rangefinder style bodies, not DSLR style. And I require a mic in. Looks like Panasonic isn't going to provide that.

biggles266's gear list:biggles266's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +14 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow