Why no 40mm pancake (or similar)?

Started Feb 9, 2018 | Questions thread
WhiteBeard
WhiteBeard Senior Member • Posts: 2,144
Re: Can you handle the truth?

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Funnily enough the only real and truly pocketable cameras are those in mobile phones - and these are now getting larger every year. Glad that we have larger pockets and that these creations are pretty well pocket-proof.

And for the last few years, whenever I felt too lazy to bring along my µ4/3 gear, I relied on the iffy performance of my cell-phone. Iffy as in, if you're shooting in low light or towards the sun, basically forget about it. I am sure my next phone will have better photo performance but the downside is that, as you point out, the present models are less and less pocketable; just try to find a good one with less than a 5.2" screen. Wait a few years (months?) and µ4/3 may look as "compact" as phablet-sized smartphones unless they too maintain the general tendency to bloat.

Unfortunately, the guy behind the camera seems to follow the same tendency, or so my wife tells me...  

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

WhiteBeard's gear list:WhiteBeard's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow