Honest question, is the 50-150mm the best NX portrait lens?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
M43ForMe
M43ForMe Regular Member • Posts: 472
Honest question, is the 50-150mm the best NX portrait lens?

Hear me out...
For me, the biggest issue for the NX platform is the lack of great fast lenses for photographing people. If you want nice bokeh and subject isolation, you have a few options, all with downsides:
1) 45mm 1.8. Nice lens, can be sharp, fast focus. Not an S lens, need to be really close to the subject to get nice dof.
2) 85mm 1.4. This is my favorite for the desired bokeh/portrait look. It's crazy sharp. The problem is the awful auto focus. If you're shooting anything that moves (like a kid), good luck getting 1 out of 4 keepers. (I honestly think if the AF was great on this lens, it would have kept more people on the NX platform, it's otherwise that good).
3) 16-50S. You can do some good portrait work with this lens. But at the end of the day, it's not super fast and hits that 2.8 pretty quickly.
4) 50-150mm 2.8. With compression, shooting at the long end, you can throw the entire background out of focus, it's AF is super fast, and it's an S lens that produces wonderful results. $$$$ though...
If you need fast AF and great subject/background isolation, I think door #4 is your best bet. Am I wrong?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow