GX9 : the new essential m4/3 camera?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
greg57 Contributing Member • Posts: 629
Re: Ah, Panasonic fancy names, blame it!

Pixnat2 wrote:

pannumon wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

I understand that, based on its name, people are seeing the GX9 as a GX8 sucessor (it would be logical).

Exactly. If they will ever make an GX8 successor, it will be called....

Who cares? It will be a camera, and that's what counts.

...The naming suggests that there will not be direct GX8 successor.

There's no real logics in Panasonic names, so you couldn't draw that conclusion They could come with high end rangefinder with a G"R" or "Z" or whatever name.

Creative people at Panasonic

From this perspective it is understandable that people are disappointed with this camera.

But it isn't. It's something between the GX8 and GX80. Ah, Panny fancy names !

Now, stop for a minute looking at it as a GX8 sucessor.

Until now, all 20 Mpix m4/3 cameras were huge or very expensive. The GX9 puts an end at it. Kudos for this.

Except YI M1, of course, around 300€/$/£ (body only or even with kit lens).

Well, that's true. But who takes that seriously?

For what it is, GX9 still seems a bit expensive. 850€/$/£ with the kit lens would be more reasonable.

Yeah, we can always expect lower price. But compared to other 20Mpix cameras, it's great.

At Wex Photographics they sell it for £699 including free 25mm 1.7. Sure they don't deliver abroad but my inlaws are visiting soon so I think I might bite the bullet if I can sell some 2nd hand equipment to cover part of the cost. It's a bargain at this price and a natural successor to the GX7 indeed.

-- hide signature --

Gregory Dziedzic
gregorydziedzic.com

greg57's gear list:greg57's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow