4 Months with D850

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kevin G. Veteran Member • Posts: 3,236
4 Months with D850

Having the D500 and then getting the D850, I wasn't sure about keeping both.  I bought the D850 to replace my FF Canon, and I really wanted one solution for FF and birding.  I really think the D850 does it for me - I'm traveling for 3 months and purposely only brought the D850 to really get used to it and not have the D500 to all back on.

My observations:  For tracking birds, even with busy backgrounds, the D850 seems similar to the D500.  I don't have the grip, but I find the 7 fps is fine 98% of the time for me.   The difference in the buffer is a non-issue for me as well.   I've never maxed out the buffer after 10,000 or so frames.

I'm also finding the D850 images require less processing too in LR.  I'm not really sure why.  Any noise is easily cleaned up and to me looks better than the D500.  While I never shot above ISO 3200 with the D500, I now max out at ISO 6400 on the D850 and use DxO software for the higher ISO images.  (I'm using a slow tele Tamron 150-600mm G2).  It works well with both cameras and focuses very well.

Anyway,  Here are a few images from the last month, a few showing BIF against more challenging backgrounds, and a few others, including one using the focus stacking function.  I was just experimenting a bit with that.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome.

Kevin

Cooper's Hawk

Cooper's Hawk

Hooded Mergansers

Snowy Egret

Snowy Egret

White Ibis

The elusive Clapper Rail

Snowy Egret

Stacked image using Helicon trial

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow