Why no 40mm pancake (or similar)?

Started Feb 9, 2018 | Questions thread
tjuster1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,016
Re: Conclusion: I seem to be the only one ;-)

alex2b wrote:

Obviously I do not have the lens cap attached when the camera sits in my pocket in ready-to-shoot mode - removing it means I am not ready to shoot. And I never use lens hoods, on any lens. And no, the front lens elements are not scratched, after using the GM1 like this for years with the Panasonic 14mm and Olympus 17mm.

So there you go: your requirements differ from mine, and the application of the 12-32mm in this scenario is quite different from using a real pancake lens. I will not suggest you should use them the same way for your purposes, though.

Wow, that seems crazy to me. You don't worry about scratching the front surface of the lens? Or do you keep it separate from keys, coins, and all the other metallic things that end up in pockets? If so, you have more discipline than I do!

I still maintain the LC-37C makes the lens effectively "ready-to-go". I guess it's not a one-hand operation, but I doubt it takes more than one second to twist the lens and get it ready, which I do as I'm carrying it from my pocket to my eye. It seem to me to be a pretty good compromise between ready availability and lens protection.

I learn something new here every day!

tjuster1's gear list:tjuster1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow