Need help with lens choice for GX85

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
JBurnett Contributing Member • Posts: 835
Re: Need help with lens choice for GX85

You have three "budget" choices in this range. Note that budget lenses sometimes suffer from "copy variation", so I can only report my experience with the copies that I have tested.

The Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 4-5.6 "R" that you mention is typically the least expensive to purchase as it often goes for as little as $99. It has no lens stabilization, but will work fine with your GX85's built-in stabilization. I have had very good results from this lens from 40-100mm. Above 100mm I get best results stopped down to f/8.

The Panasonic 45-150mm is another option. It goes on sale frequently, though not as cheaply as the Olympus. My copy of the Panasonic did not really perform better than the Olympus, although some "test sites" have given it a better overall rating than the Oly. Once again, it performed best in the 45-100 range.

The Panasonic 35-100 f/4-5.6 is often the most expensive option, although it does come on sale now and then. It is the "match" for the 12-32 size-wise, as it is a tiny lens for the range. My copy was sharper than the Oly 40-150 or Panasonic 45-150. But we're not talking about HUGE differences in the case of the lenses I got.

If you can afford the 35-100 and are fine with the upper limit, then I would suggest buying that lens. If you want something cheaper, or the extra reach is important, try one of the other two lenses.

-- hide signature --

John.

JBurnett's gear list:JBurnett's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow