Why no 40mm pancake (or similar)?

Started Feb 9, 2018 | Questions thread
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,264
Re: Conclusion: I seem to be the only one ;-)

alex2b wrote:

Eric Nepean wrote:

The Panasonic 12-32, 14/2.5, 14-42Pz, 20mm F1.7, and the Olympus 17mmF2.8, 14-42EZ are all good quality pancake lenses, and there's another half dozen or so that are small, including the Panny 42.5 /1.7 and the Oly 45mm/1.8

The Panasonic 12-32mm and Olympus 14-42 EZ are not pancakes. They are collapsible lenses. As I explained in other answers in this thread, there are no advantages to collapsible lenses when you use your camera in 'always ready to shoot' mode, like I do. Your requirements may be different, but they do not meet mine.

Absolutely. I had a Panny 14-42mm PZ/EZ whatever for a bit. Like you, when I'm carrying a camera it's out, ON and ready, not stuffed in a bag. So basically, it was like carrying a 14-42mm II, with a major IQ hit, shutter shock AND electronic zoom. YUCK. Sold it.

This also applies to the 42.5 f/1.7 and the 45 f/1.8. Yes, they are small, but small and light does not equal flat. As I explained elsewhere in this thread, I want my camera to be stored in a pocket, and in ready-to-shoot mode. Again, your requirements are different, but do not try to impose your requirements upon me, or others that do utilize the benefits of real pancakes as opposed to small lenses.

Small and light is a whole 'nother thing. When I'm in that mode, my faves are Voigtländer 35mm f1.4, Jupiter 8 (50mm f2), 20mm (rarely) and Voigtländer 75mm f2.5 Color Heliar. I've been thinking about getting a slow and small Voigtländer 21mm or 25mm to expand the possibilities.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow