Android devices covertly sending location data to Google

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Boomanbb
Boomanbb Senior Member • Posts: 2,305
Re: Google's daily tracking

fotografffic wrote:

A few years ago, I discovered that Google tracked where I went on a daily basis. Every day a map was made. I shut it off some time ago but kept a screen shot of two maps that were made when I went on a business trip. One was a flight of my trip across the US (my phone was in airplane mode) the other driving around the area.

Google says only I can see this.....they forgot to mention themselves.

Countless people don't even know about this or where to look to shut it off...is shutting it off really matters anymore.

I guess we're willing to give up one of our most fundamental rights...privacy...for the convenience of our gadgets

If anyone isn't aware that the smarter the device or service, the more data it collects, they maybe shouldn't be using the device or service. Most people, maybe not dpreview people, but most people get a lot of benefit from that data collection in the form of traffic monitoring, matching photos to names, finding locations and a myriad of other useful services.

I think the key is knowing the data exists and knowing how to delete it when you want to. I find the Google location history fascinating. I have photos tagged to locations back in time. It has helped me remember when I accidentally went to a really nice photo location but forgot where it was. I just looked up the day I went. If i wanted to cheat on my wife, I would feel differently about that data collection.

Facebook took us over the privacy cliff. No way forward but down.

-- hide signature --

Ben Boozer
Disagree without being disagreeable

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow