Why no 40mm pancake (or similar)?

Started Feb 9, 2018 | Questions thread
arbux Senior Member • Posts: 1,173
Re: f/2.8 for me.

Guy Parsons wrote:

Dug in the NAS and found the horribly noisy candy jpeg, here it is in thumbnail form..

On the left is how dark it really appeared to the eye, hard to make out things on the table until grabbed and held up to some weak light from afar. On the right the noisy jpeg, the raw file would clean up much nicer but not about to waste my time now doing that.

Jpeg at ISO 25600, 23mm and f/2.8 at 1/40 sec, 0EV exp comp - it gave me colours that I had no hope of seeing with my own eyes in that darkness.

That was the sort of light I was shooting people with around that table and had the f/1.8 primes fail AF miserably.

Very interesting experience. I admit I don't have 1.8 primes therefore no contradictory experience either, so i take yours as valid. I'm  surprised though. I have read earlier about 75mm hunting in low light a bit, but treated it as exception. CDAF, especially on panasonic bodies, always got highest opinions (I recall even my ancient GH1 focused very well in dim light, but it was with zoom lens as well).

Regards..... Guy

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow