Why no 40mm pancake (or similar)?

Started Feb 9, 2018 | Questions thread
Eric Nepean
Eric Nepean Veteran Member • Posts: 4,285
Re: Conclusion: I seem to be the only one ;-)

alex2b wrote:

Eric Nepean wrote:

The Panasonic 12-32, 14/2.5, 14-42Pz, 20mm F1.7, and the Olympus 17mmF2.8, 14-42EZ are all good quality pancake lenses, and there's another half dozen or so that are small, including the Panny 42.5 /1.7 and the Oly 45mm/1.8

The Panasonic 12-32mm and Olympus 14-42 EZ are not pancakes. They are collapsible lenses. As I explained in other answers in this thread, there are no advantages to collapsible lenses when you use your camera in 'always ready to shoot' mode, like I do. Your requirements may be different, but they do not meet mine.

This also applies to the 42.5 f/1.7 and the 45 f/1.8. Yes, they are small, but small and light does not equal flat. As I explained elsewhere in this thread, I want my camera to be stored in a pocket, and in ready-to-shoot mode. Again, your requirements are different, but do not try to impose your requirements upon me, or others that do utilize the benefits of real pancakes as opposed to small lenses.

Alex, I wasn't trying to impose my requirements on you.

The poster I was responding to had gone beyond your original question and stated

"Lack of really smal lenses for m43 is ridiculous,"

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Eric

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow