D850 vs D500 noise quality

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
xPhoenix
xPhoenix Contributing Member • Posts: 933
D850 vs D500 noise quality

So after shooting with my D850 for a few weeks (not really enough to know the camera's capabilities, but still enough to give me an idea), I've switched back to using the D500 with my long lens.  I've tested the two cameras with my 200-500 lens, and it appears the D500 shows slightly less noise at higher ISOs.  That said, after processing some images, I just get the sense that the IQ is a little better on the D850, and I'm not even talking about when filling the frame; I mean even when cropping deep.

Amount of noise/grain is one thing, but there is also a quality to the noise.  Sometimes I feel that the grain in the D500 images isn't very pleasing, almost a bit crunchy.  I don't know...could be just my imagination.  Just wondering if those of you who've shot with both prefer one over the other (and I mainly mean when cropping to DX size or smaller).

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow