Nikon 17-35 f/2.8 SWM disassembly

Started Feb 11, 2018 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
anish5701 New Member • Posts: 6
Nikon 17-35 f/2.8 SWM disassembly

Hi all,

I had been using a 17-35 f/2.8 af-s that had developed a squeak over the years and then would stop auto-focusing intermittently till it eventually jammed completely.

Coming from a non-Nikon repair center part of the world, I once tried getting an estimate and repair evaluation at Nikon Thailand but was told that I was to wait for 2 weeks and because I was there on business for a few days couldn't leave it there. (a shutter replacement on a D600 took almost 3 months by Nikon Thailand).

An unofficial repair technician here suspected corrosion/dirt on the rotor-stator the cause behind the squeak and ultimate stick and we took apart the lens tonight and removed the SWM unit. We cannot figure out how to disassemble the SWM unit and searching on the internet didn't help. There seems to be a groove and thread on the top contact plate which seems to be glued into place. Is that the way to open it up?

Kindly would appreciate any help or pointers to open the unit up or any information to solve the auto-focus issue. (Ultimately ordering a new SWM unit from ebay if nothing else works would be inevitable but a long complicated process in this part of the world so we would want to avoid that)

Best Regards,

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow