Why no 40mm pancake (or similar)?

Started Feb 9, 2018 | Questions thread
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 37,334
Re: Why no 40mm pancake (or similar)?

WhiteBeard wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

alex2b wrote:

I used to think that as well, because neither Panasonic nor Olympus went beyond 20mm, but then I realized that Canon makes the 40mm pancake. If they can do it, why would the masters of lens size reduction not be able to do so?

Pentax makes a line of crêpe-thin lenses that make the 20mm and 14 f2.5 look obese.

That 40 F2.8 sure is tiny although it may benefit from Pentax's "screw-drive from camera" auto focus which could enable a more compact lens. It adapts to a µ4/3 body (losing AF along the way) with an adapter that sadly seems bigger than the lens itself...

Pixco Adjustable Aperture Lens adapter suit for Pentax K mount DA lens to Micro 4/3

I would obviously be more interested in allowing the setting of aperture on these lenses that I already own than the extra size of the adapter itself - AF was gone anyway on any camera other than a dedicated PK mount body.

But that leaves the tiny uncomfortable focus ring of course.

Thank for the information.  I might soon have two lenses semi-redundant lenses now made more useful.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow