Why no 40mm pancake (or similar)?

Started Feb 9, 2018 | Questions thread
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 31,813
Re: Conclusion: I seem to be the only one ;-)

TomFid wrote:

If flange distance is the limit, it should be possible to make collapsible lenses, which would also be easier with manual focus. A nice, manual extension with a smooth helical mechanism would be cool.

OK this thread is about around 45mm lens type, so let's look at the humble Oly 45/1.8 lens......

I enlarged the small image I found on the M4/3 pages, it came out bad.

Please tell me how to make a collapsible lens out of that design. The large rear element on the right would have to move back into body space and collide with baffles and junk in there. Not a lot of air space in between groups so no worthwhile collapsability is available in the design.

Why collapse it anyway? It is a tiny lens as it is.

The "must fit in my pocket" brigade needs to grow up and realise that some things are impossible, except to go buy a camera that does fit in their pocket and be resistant to pocket fluff and other junk in there of course.

Even my pocket fit cameras I would never ever put in a pocket, they go in a proper small belt pouch and are way better protected and easier to get to than digging in a pocket.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow