Parabolic reflectors in the studio

Started Jan 21, 2018 | Discussions thread
RE Alpha
RE Alpha Regular Member • Posts: 493
Re: Parabolic reflectors in the studio

There are numerous silver parabolic imported from China. None of them are using soft silver material. And my copy of profoto deep silver 51" is giving me nice light with open tube as close to the ribs as possible. Deep mount kills most of the spill and the inner part of the umbrella is defocused in this position. So it's something like Broncoloc 133 para in defocused position. And I'm starting to think that I need 65" for full body work. And I think that I should move to better studios with Broncolor paras to test them ) So here I'm mostly for some tips from users. Thanks for your reply! And imho true parabolic reflectors are too hard for photography - both briese and broncolor are scattering the light very much, from true parabolic reflector you'll see the light only from one point of the reflector and both of those are not even close to that. Therefore I don't care about the naming but care for the light quality.

I am looking into the para options for Broncolor (I now use the Siros L). As I regularly travel to locations, it also has to be portable (sort of), which limits the choice to the para 88 and 133 (both can used with the Siros L).

Maybe have a look at the following video by Karl Taylor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NrNpQlabnE

RE Alpha's gear list:RE Alpha's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow