Why no 40mm pancake (or similar)?

Started Feb 9, 2018 | Questions thread
uRebel Rob Senior Member • Posts: 1,537
It's the mount: No mirrorless pancake > 35mm on any mount

Lets look at all the mirrorless pancake lens on all mounts (I'm probably missing some MF lenses), sorted by FL, and including the percentage of the FL over the flange distance:

Lens (% FL / FFD)

• 14mm mFT (73%)
  • 16mm Samsun NX (63%)
  • 16mm Sony E (89%)
  • 17mm mFT (88%)
  • 20mm Samsun NX (78%)
  • 20mm mFT (104%)
  • 20mm Sony E (111%)
  • 22mm EF-M (122%)
  • 28mm Leica M (101%)
  • 28mm Meike mFT (145%)
  • 30mm Samsun NX (118%)
  • 35mm Leica M (126%)

The two with the longest FL also have the longest flange distances (25.5 and 27.8mm).

Even FF and APSC lenses aren't past 35mm.

The Meike 28mm is MF. It's also the highest FL/FFD ratio of these ML lenses (28/19.75 = 145%).

DSLR/SLR pretty much mirror the ML pancakes (if we remove the Pentax), except shifted about 15mm longer FL:

• 24mm EF-S (55%)
  • 25mm Oly FT (65%)
  • 28mm Nikon F (62%)
  • 40mm EF (91%)
  • 45mm Nikon F (99%)
  • 50mm Nikon F (110%)

I couldn't find the Nikons in DPR database, so they're probably old? MF?

Canon only has two pancake lenses. One is FF/APSC, and one is APSC only.

There are a couple third party 20 and 21mm pancakes, but MF; I didn't include them.

As noted in other posts, the EF-S protrudes in to the camera body. This "cheats" the FFD limit, but the EF-S specs allow this, and is why it can't be mounted on a FF EF body.

And the Pentax pancakes are the exception:

• 21mm Pentax K (46%)
    Widest AF pancake on any DSLR mount. Widest FL / FFD ratio of all AF lenses. (There are 20 & 21mm MF third party lenses, though).
  • 40mm Pentax K (88%)
    The XS version is the thinnest lens with AF and adjustable fstop: 9mm. Even works pretty well with FF. (I own the XS model)
  • 43mm Pentax K (95%)
    Fastest FF pancake lens (f/1.9), only behind the panasonic 20mm. (There are some f/2.0, though.) High IQ FF lens.
  • 70mm Pentax K (154%)
    Longest pancake lens, by FL and by percentage. Works pretty well with FF. (I own it)

TL;DR:

All in all, m43 is in pretty good shape for pancakes. Of all the mounts, only Pentax has more AF pancakes than m43. We also have the fastest with the 20mm/1.7. And IQ of the 20mm is also excellent.

I think the 28mm meike is about at the "easy and good IQ" limits of m43's flange distance, but it's MF.

uRebel Rob's gear list:uRebel Rob's gear list
Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 Nikon D5100 +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow