Why no 40mm pancake (or similar)?

Started Feb 9, 2018 | Questions thread
Loga Senior Member • Posts: 1,804
Re: Conclusion: I seem to be the only one ;-)

Hi Alex,

I am with you. I love my 14mm f2.5 pancake, and recently I acquired a Meike 28mm f2.8, also a pancake, albeit a manual one. I would have really loved if Panasonic or Olympus made a few more small lenses, and my dream would have came true if they made a manual lens series, like my Meike 28mm f2.8. Making them small would be even easier without autofocus, not to mention they could be cheaper. A lineup like 14, 17, 25 and 40mm, all manual focus, f2.8 wide open, and pancake. The problem is that no other company does this, however they should only match the mount (and the focus distance scale).

However, what we already have is also very-very good! I am happy with the 14mm, 28mm, 45mm combo, which fits in a very small bag and weights close to nothing with my beloved Pana GF2.

Here is the Meike 28 f2.8 on my GF1:

alex2b wrote:

TomFid wrote:

The one serious analysis above suggests that it might be hard to do, not that you shouldn't want one.

True; I was mostly hinting at the multiple answers that pointed me towards the 42.5/45mm lenses (which I totally understand, but that is not what I want).

And yes, I believe it is not super easy, else we would have seen more variants, apart from the Pentax 70mm f/2.4. On the other hand, if there is one example, then we have proof it can be done. And the optical design of the Pentax is not particularly complex. That lens comes in at 130 grams, for a bigger image circle.

Take the Panasonic 35-100mm f/4-5.6 for example. I did not believe the size when I saw that lens for the first time. If they can do that, I would expect them to be able to build slight telephoto pancakes as well.

I agree that it's a pity. I'd love to see more compact f2 to 2.8 options. I can't fathom why there's so much enthusiasm for spectacularly large/expensive f1.2 lenses, but not for more innovative ideas.

Indeed. We have been spoilt with numerous very small zoom lenses, both collapsible and non-collapsible. But I feel the primes now lag behind, mostly in the telephoto range of 50-100mm for small lenses and 30-70mm for pancakes. When thinking about it, this also applies to ultra wide angles (yes, I own the 9mm bodycap already). I would love to have a 10.5mm f/2.8 or f/3.5 pancake.

Loga's gear list:Loga's gear list
Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow