Why no 40mm pancake (or similar)?

Started Feb 9, 2018 | Questions thread
OP (unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 263
Re: Conclusion: I seem to be the only one ;-)

TomFid wrote:

The one serious analysis above suggests that it might be hard to do, not that you shouldn't want one.

True; I was mostly hinting at the multiple answers that pointed me towards the 42.5/45mm lenses (which I totally understand, but that is not what I want).

And yes, I believe it is not super easy, else we would have seen more variants, apart from the Pentax 70mm f/2.4. On the other hand, if there is one example, then we have proof it can be done. And the optical design of the Pentax is not particularly complex. That lens comes in at 130 grams, for a bigger image circle.

Take the Panasonic 35-100mm f/4-5.6 for example. I did not believe the size when I saw that lens for the first time. If they can do that, I would expect them to be able to build slight telephoto pancakes as well.

I agree that it's a pity. I'd love to see more compact f2 to 2.8 options. I can't fathom why there's so much enthusiasm for spectacularly large/expensive f1.2 lenses, but not for more innovative ideas.

Indeed. We have been spoilt with numerous very small zoom lenses, both collapsible and non-collapsible. But I feel the primes now lag behind, mostly in the telephoto range of 50-100mm for small lenses and 30-70mm for pancakes. When thinking about it, this also applies to ultra wide angles (yes, I own the 9mm bodycap already). I would love to have a 10.5mm f/2.8 or f/3.5 pancake.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow