m43 Lenses with Less 'Busy' / Creamier Bokeh

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
markus9 Forum Member • Posts: 61
m43 Lenses with Less 'Busy' / Creamier Bokeh

Hi,

I have the 45mm Olympus f1.8 lens. It's a great lens - sharp even wide open. However, I find myself having to think of and control the background more than I would like because of 'busy bokeh'.

This is especially problematic and frustrating with background foliage in bright conditions. On the other hand, with the right background, the bokeh is indeed lovely and the Oly 45mm shows it's great characteristics.

What lenses in the m43 have smoother / less busy bokeh especially from the 25mm+? ...or is it something we must accept with m43 sensor + optics?

In terms of quasi-portrait lenses, the Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 seems a touch better (I don't have the budget for f1.4). At the shorter end, the Sigma 30mm f1.4 also seems a bit better, but I haven't found great samples to really be sure.

I shoot with the Olympus E-M10, but I'm not wedded to any system. I have the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 which I love - but again is not famous for smooth bokeh.
I had fun with a Jupiter 9 85mm on a previous Pentax DSLR system which is famous for it's non creamy bokeh - but sometimes you want the opposite.
Happy to hear your thoughts.

Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow