Why no 40mm pancake (or similar)?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 263
Why no 40mm pancake (or similar)?

Both Panasonic and Olympus have released a lot of lenses lately, and they have been filling in the high-end range that was still missing from their respective line-ups.

While I do understand that this needed to be addressed, I feel that the original premise of m4/3 has been somewhat neglected in recent years: we grow bigger (literally), not smaller. Although I recognize that there are some exceptions to this rule (if you look hard), like the release of the very small and light Olympus 30mm macro.

I currently own two m4/3 kits. One with the Olympus E-M5 (mk.1), Panasonic f/2.8 zoom lenses and some other normal size lenses. And another one based on the Panasonic GM1, Olympus 9mm bodycap, Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 pancake, and Olympus 17mm f/2.8 pancake. I use the latter when travelling light, like city travels.

It seems that the wide angle mini range has been covered well by Panasonic and Olympus, but they did not go beyond 20mm. And that I consider to be a pity.

What about a 40mm pancake? It does not have to be super fast, I would hope for f/2.8. Canon makes this lens; it would make so much sense if Panasonic or Olympus would step in and extend the pancake prime range. Or even a bit longer than that, if they can manage that. And a 25mm pancake to top it off. I would think that this can be an Olympus, as Panasonic already created the 20mm.

What do you think? Am I the only one who really, really likes his diminutive high quality travel kit?

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,

Alex

ANSWER:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow