Need some tips for a lighting rookie...are Alien Bees a good start?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Smiller4128 Contributing Member • Posts: 512
Need some tips for a lighting rookie...are Alien Bees a good start?

Hello All,

I am just starting off in the flash photography world and basically know next to nothing. I currently shoot with a Fujifilm X-T2 and X100F. I've had lots of fun with the Fujifilm brand but I've been wanting something "More"...something a bit more professional looking I guess. I do a lot of Cosplay shooting and decided that I might want to start taking a look at flash systems. Both for outside when at conventions, and for home use for private studio type sessions.

So I just pulled the trigger on ordering the Godox V860II-F Flash and the XPro-F flash trigger. I also bought a bunch of other things like a stand for the flash, flash box, backdrop setup, canvas for the backdrop....can't believe it only came out to $350 for it all...seems cheap but I'm happy. Now, with this setup I know that I'll be able to learn on camera flash techniques, as well as, off camera flash for different effects. However, I have an opportunity to buy a basically brand new Alien Bees B800 for $200. Seems like a good deal but I'm not sure if its good to purchase that or hold off and wait to buy a Godox AD200 to stick with an all Godox System. I would prefer an Alien Bees because it can be used as constant lighting and not just as a flash right? I think that would benefit me more since I already purchased a decent flash right?

And I know a lot of people are going to tell me to take it slow and learn with what I have first. I can both understand and appreciate that, however, when I get into learning something new, I prefer to just dive right into all of it and figure it out as I go. It's just my way of doing things.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +1 more
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow