Question for those with a 200-500 f/5.6 with a Kirk tripod collar

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LordKOTL
LordKOTL Contributing Member • Posts: 941
Question for those with a 200-500 f/5.6 with a Kirk tripod collar

For those of you who have this tripod collar for their 200-500:

1. Can you screw in a 1/4" tripod screw from the top of the tripod foot?  The screw hole looks open.
  2. How deep is the hole at the top before the tripod screw threads start?

In a nutshell:  I've been eyeing this for awhile so I won't need a separate Arca/swiss plate.  However, since I tend to handhold and carry it with a sling strap, I want to attach the peak anchors to the foot and it doesn't appear that there's any mounting lug on the 200-500 or the stock foot, nor any anchors on the Kirk foot.  Since I don't want to add an additional plate to the bottom of the foot, I am investigating the plausibility of screwing in the peak plate or a tripod screw D-ring to the top of the foot, so it doesn't interfere with the bottom and I can attach the anchors.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

-- hide signature --

There's no shame in using auto or semiauto modes--no matter what the salesdroids at Best Buy tell you.

LordKOTL's gear list:LordKOTL's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +3 more
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow