Another 5DSr thread – landscape and nature photography

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Vector12 Contributing Member • Posts: 561
Another 5DSr thread – landscape and nature photography

I didn't want to distract from the other thread, so I thought I might ask a few questions in a new one.

I'm planning on switching from using a Sony A7ii (now sold) as a complement to my Sigma cameras to a DSLR. The main reason for moving out of the Sony camera world is size; I find the smaller cameras fiddly in winter. I had a chance to handle a Nikon D500 and a 5DSr and was very happy with the ergonomics of both cameras. I'm used to larger cameras (I spent a lot of time at one point working with 6x6 and 6x7 medium format film), and I do a lot of photography in temperatures that require gloves.

My budget is not unlimited (hence the D850 at European prices is out), but I'd like a camera that would work well enough for both some wildlife and also for landscapes. The D500 favours the former, but I've seen good work with the 5DSr. More to the point, my impression from working with downloaded files is that the 5DSr, when used carefully, is a superior landscape camera to most others (I recognise the D500 is not mainly geared towards landscapes, but of course talented photographers get excellent results from it, too). In any case, I can get a used 5DSr at a good price that would allow me to buy a couple lenses. I have no relevant investment in lenses.

Given all that, I was curious to hear if people had much in the way of experience using the 5DSr in cold conditions over extended periods, since that is a lot when I photograph. The Sony was not ace on that front. I was also wondering if people had much confidence in the weather sealing, given some care, of course, to avoid prolonged exposure to rain. Lastly, I was curious to hear how people felt about doing black and white work with the camera. I've seen some stunning examples, but others' experience would be helpful to hear about.

All thoughts are of course greatly appreciated.

P.S. I feel I should stress that I'm not really asking for a comparison between Canon and Nikon cameras, which I realise is a vexed issue. I'm more interested in understanding how well the 5DSr would work on its own terms for my uses.

Vector12's gear list:Vector12's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro
Canon EOS 5DS R Nikon D500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow