A6000: Camera Error Turn Camera Off Then On

Started Feb 6, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Shiny Object Contributing Member • Posts: 686
A6000: Camera Error Turn Camera Off Then On

With increasing frequency, my beloved A6000 has been kicking out a "Camera Error. Turn Camera Off Then On". When this happens, the battery must be removed and reinserted (or else the error message remains on screen). What triggers the error is shooting an image, at which point the shutter makes a high pitched sort of sound, followed by the error message appearing - it also captures an overexposed image. If I remove the lens and shoot, I see the shutter move into place and stick there longer than it should. Not sure what would be making it stick, but that could be part of the problem.

This happened most often when shooting in cold weather. The camera worked well for a few frames (between 1 and maybe 20-ish), then kicked out the error. Sometimes, a simple reinsertion of the battery fixed it. Sometimes, I'd need to wait a few minutes. Sometimes, I'd need to wait longer.

Looking online at this problem, I've seen and tried various ideas, including shaking the camera, tapping it on the top, switching the SD card, changing lenses, cleaning the lens contacts, changing batteries, removing the battery overnight, and a few other tricks I've since forgotten.

My most recent trick (Cleaning Mode via the camera menu) seemed to work last time. But I am concerned that I'm going to shoot a few more frames then have the same problem.

I've seen a few older, short threads about this topic. Anyone have recent experiences and/or potential solutions? The A6000 has been a fantastic camera and I'd really like to get much more use from it before its demise.

Shiny Object's gear list:Shiny Object's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +1 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow