First week with D4s, I'm honestly gobsmacked by this camera

Started Feb 6, 2018 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dodi73
Dodi73 Senior Member • Posts: 2,056
First week with D4s, I'm honestly gobsmacked by this camera

Hello everyone

the shortest and most concise things I could say about it is that I never ever had anything like that by far. Probably the closest thing (performance and specs wise) I had is the D500 (which isn't FF) - I also tried the D850 but for some reason I appreciated more the littler and faster sister. Since 2004 when I entered the Nikon system I had D70s/D200/D700/D600/D500 and now D4s (plus I still have the F6).

Some of you might already know this story: if this is the case, feel free to skip forward-

Sure you may say the D5 is even better, I don't even try to question it, yet the D4s is definitely a gorgeous, amazing, blazing fast and marvelous camera nonetheless.

I stumbled upon it by chance when it first seemed I had to get the D850 and yet it never came and I could try it (the D850) only at a Nikon event. I liked it - to be honest - and would have also been the D500 replacement I was waiting for (although, again, only to come back to FF, because the D500 had also some points up to its sleeves)

At the same time, at the same event, it happened that I saw some D5 files SOOC and I liked them much more (as concerns skin tones and overall look) than what I had done myself with the D850. Plus, the same girl who made me see the D5 files asked me to check for an used D4 at a local shop - which was too far for her to visit. I went and checked. The camera was in great shape and at an even better price. I couldn't get it myself but since the first moment I handled and operated it, I understood THAT was the camera I was waiting for. Plus, I couldn't make my mind I should have changed software, hardware and storage and every burst of 5 frames, I couldn't deal with 250 MB of raw. Really, I didn't want to spend more time on pc rather than shooting.  So I basically cancelled the order for the D850 and started looking for a D4 / D4s and I even started thinking of a D5. ( You only live once, right? ) At the beginning of december I spotted an used D4s at a reasonable price and while I was still deciding what to do. the camera every day tempted me with its silent presence on the net.

Around January the 20th I was still wondering what to do, when I heard that the company my company works for might be on the verge to sell our business unit, thus things became clear, I had to act immediately, getting a D5 could have been too risky.

So I took the plunge, called the shop (which was 150 miles away) and went there just to check the camera and try it for a while. At first, I noticed the weight ( I had the impression the D4 was remarkably lighter ) and for a moment I even thought not to go ahead but then - it was the only "not positive" aspect while everything else was perfect and when I arrived hope I again found its files to be breathtakingly clean and noise free. For what I do, there was plenty of detail - I really didn't need the D850 45 MP -  skin tones were straight beautiful and natural even up to 8000 ISO without batting an eye and 10000 ISO was the threshold where noise started to show up, although very faintly.

( continues )

-- hide signature --

All the best from northern Italy, Dino.
I'm on the NIK side of photography.

Nikon D4S
16 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Feb 25, 2014
Dodi73's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Nikon D4 Nikon D4S Nikon D5 Nikon D500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow