Tamron 15-30

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Westmill
Westmill Senior Member • Posts: 2,076
Tamron 15-30

First few pics with this lens, and first impressions !

Mounted on the D4s it is indeed rather heavy and bulky. A little bigger than I had expected, but not much. The balance is not bad and while it certainly is a heavy combo it is not over the top, and rather enjoyable to use.

Build quality is very good and it is weather sealed, which I like. Focus seems positive and pretty snappy. So far nothing to complain about !  You could perhaps wish for it to be lighter, but then maybe the build quality would be less, so I think maybe it is a rather good compromise myself.

Image quality !

Well I hoped for a good copy as we all no doubt do... and YES !  I got one lol phew !

Stopped down at the wider end, I expected it to be sharp and it is. No surprises there at all. By far my greatest concern was IQ at 30mm and especially wide open !  I have read a few reports stating the lens is not great at 30mm to say the least. Seems to me like this is perhaps another lens that suffers from wild variation in various copies. My expectations were pretty low for using this lens at 30mm, and especially at F2.8.

I am happy to report, that my copy of the lens is actually rather sharp at 30mm F2.8 !

I shall be more than happy and confident to shoot this lens at 30mm F2.8 whenever needed. Not so easy to show good separation at 30mm F2.8, far easier with the tammy 35mm F1.8 even so, it is possible and when you do, the bokeh is not half bad. Managed to capture a single bokeh highlight lol. There is a notable onion ring, but its rather soft and not at all unpleasant. The lens does seem to focus rather close which is always a plus point with any lens. Foreground bokeh is not as impressive. In short... I do not like it much lol. As this is something your unlikely to see much with this lens I doubt it will ever be much of a problem.

Final thoughts... Highly recommended... and I would give it the a full 5 stars !  It does what it says on the tin and does what it does exceedingly well !

Westmill's gear list:Westmill's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +4 more
Nikon D4S Tamron 15-30mm F2.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow