Thoughts on the Nikon 20mm f2.8D lens

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
David and Karen New Member • Posts: 13
Thoughts on the Nikon 20mm f2.8D lens

Hi everyone. I(David) needed a 20mm lens that was light, small, and relatively cheap. I have had back surgery and now must be careful about weight, and have to be careful about price as well. The 20mm f1.8G is a really nice lens but way outside our current budget. With the 20mm f1.8G going for $799 new and around $680 refurbished that was not gonna fly. So I bought a nice copy of the 20mm f2.8D for under $300. But how well does it work? I made a gallery with the images I feel show its strengths and weaknesses and uploaded full size adjusted jpg's from the raw images I shot on a D750 and globally adjusted in Lightroom. The vignetting, distortion, lateral chromatic aberration, and exposure are all adjusted to leave the Coma and sharpness(esp. at the edges) parts of this lens that post processing cannot(at least easily) fix. I put the camera on a tripod and shot full frame images at 2.8, 4, 5.6, 6.3, 7.1, 8, 9, 10, and 11. Also I took DX images at those stops to show how good the images are for those cameras. I took a few images of close up central objects to show how it can be used at f2.8 without worrying about corner softness. And finally I took pics from f2.8 to f8 for a left sided high contrast scene through tree branches to show the really big Coma at f2.8, and how it reduces to almost nothing at f5.6, and completely at f8. The tripod mounted scene taken in our yard shows the progression of sharpening that happens in the corners as you stop down, and showed us that f5.6 works for our print business as we cut off part of the edges when enlarging. I did not show the large vignetting at f2.8, lesser at f4. This is all done to show how well you can use this cheaper lens on a 24mp camera. Ymmv on the D850, etc. Sorry for using the gallery approach to this post, we are still getting used to DPR and the way the forums work, and I wanted to include full size images-24mp full frame, 10mp for DX. Hope this helps anyone needing a compact cheaper alternative for a 20mm optic!

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1402159196/albums/nikon-20mmd-f2-8

David

David and Karen's gear list:David and Karen's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +11 more
Nikon D750 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow