Advice on rim lighting would be much appreciated.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
housesr
housesr Regular Member • Posts: 281
Advice on rim lighting would be much appreciated.

Hi, I posted the following query on the portrait forum and someone suggested that I should try here, so...

-- hide signature --

I'm new to DPReview, so hi there everyone.

About 3 months ago my friend who is a fairly serious amateur photographer bought a Nikon D850 DSLR and some really expensive lenses after he came into an inheritance.

This left him to consider what he would do with his old gear, a Nikon D7000 and, a 18-200mm zoom lens. He kept some of his old lenses and said that the 18-200 wasn't a very good lens, but would suit a beginner.

The good news (for me), is that he gave them both to me and I've been having a mess around with them and seeing what does what, with varied success.

I've also bought some other stuff like a couple of speed lights, 2 soft boxes that you can use with speed lights and a backdrop, well two backdrops, a black and a white one, with the stands. This is because I want to try my hand at taking some portraits.

A different friend came round the other day as I was looking at some low key portraits on google pictures and he said he wouldn't mind having some done of him for a dating site. He also liked some of the portraits that used "rim light."

So here's the question ~ I understand from reading the manual for the speed lights that the sensors on them have to be in line of sight of your camera.

That clearly presents me with a problem because as I understand it, when getting a rim light effect, the speed light (not with a soft box) will need to be behind my friend, so how can I activate it when it's not in line of sight of my camera?

Is it possible to bounce the signal off a mirror or something, or is there another way to do it?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction as I don't want to be fumbling about on the day.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Jon

-------------------

Btw, the 2 speed lights are SB700's.

Someone on the other forum suggested some "non ttl radio triggers," but what kind/brand or whatever?

Thanks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow