Diffence between power level indicator and stop range on monolights?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
77Roads New Member • Posts: 6
Diffence between power level indicator and stop range on monolights?

I am new to studio strobes and want to practice still life and product photography, and maybe basic portraiture. Have been using continuous LED but want to go further.

After much research, I settled on the Interfit Honey Badgers because of price, reviews and the ability to shoot at low power -- I have a small 9'x10' space, so I can't go overboard.

Was set to buy them when I read a review by Chris Gampat on thephoblographer website that gave me pause. Now I am super confused!

He says "Con: Doesn’t go below 4.0 when it comes to power... So if you were to take 360 and divide 10 you’ll get 36 then multiply by 4 and you’ll get 144. That’s a whole lot of light... With 144 watt seconds of power, you’ll be stopping down your lens... Really wish it went down below 4.0 power."

He is using the power level indicator to calculate the minimum Ws. I searched the internet for 3 hours last night and can't find this formula anywhere else. And I can't figure out what the power indicator going from 10 down 4 has to do with anything. Aren't the the actual stop range and minimum Ws more important specs? What am I missing?

Interfit claims the badgers have a 7 stop range, from full 320Ws down to 5Ws. Are they engaging in "creative marketing," or is the reviewer off base in his 144 Ws calculation?

Most importantly, would it be overkill to use two or three Honey Badgers at lowest power in a 9'x10' studio?

Thanks for any and all help!!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow