Noob towards lighting and OCF techniques, any guidance?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Trumpetstilskin
Trumpetstilskin Regular Member • Posts: 164
Noob towards lighting and OCF techniques, any guidance?

Hello All:

I am primarily a landscape and short film photography enthusiast who wants to learn lighting and using flash for photography (portraits as well as other subjects). Are there any useful and reliable guides or resources you are aware of which is perfect for a beginner to get started?

Also, what gear should I be investing in to get working on this skill. I could think of two approaches:

Basic - Get a very basic lighting kit to learn and practice and eventually upgrade should the need so arise (E,g. Simple Remote Trigger, LumoPro LP605S Lightstand, LumoPro LP679 v2 Swivel, LumoPro 3-in-1 Double-Fold umbrella etc)

Medium - Invest in a mid-segment semi pro lighting kit with more advanced remote with potentially multi flash trigger option to avoid having to buy new equipment for the foreseeable future.

Over the last 10 years, I have used Canon EOS and Sony A7 non flash cameras and am very keen to pick up the skill.  The internet has very confusing feedback and so much gear to choose from, it gets a bit tough to decide.

Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Trumpetstilskin's gear list:Trumpetstilskin's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7S II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +14 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow