Teleconverter on Nikon 300mm F4 with Nikon D500

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ychow New Member • Posts: 6
Teleconverter on Nikon 300mm F4 with Nikon D500

I am new to Photography. Been debating what will get me best reach.....for wildlife Photography. I am looking to photograph big wildlife - leopards, tigers, lions, puma, jaguar, bears, wolves, crocodiles/caimans/alligators, Birds of Pray and whatever else - small animals that are even harder to see. Again, could involve bad light photography (good light as well!!).

I have the following combinations:--

1     NIKON D500 and Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 300MM f/4E PF ED Vibration Reduction Lens with Auto Focus (it works with Dx) with Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DGX 1.4x AF TC

2.    Olympus OMD EM1 older version (Mk 1) with the lebnses:

i      Oly Zuiko FourThird (not Micro FourThird) 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 with matching                     Teleconverter Oly 1.4x for FourThirds (again not Micro)

ii     Panasonic Vario Mega OIS 100-300 mm F4-5.6

What will my esteemed / experienced friends recommend.....

Add a Kenko TelePlus MC7 AF 2.0X DGX Teleconverter ($124)

OR

Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DGX 2x AF Teleconverter ($169)

OR

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f4.0 PRO  (incidentally, I have the TC 1.4x that goes with this lens)   (costing $2500)

OR

Panasonic Leica Newer lenses coming out   200mm F2.8    OR   50-200mm F2.8 with TC x1.4   and   x2.0    (cost varies from $3000 and additional $600 for x2.0)

What is experience with newer Pana-Leica lenses? Are they truly something out of world??  Anyone knows anything about them?

Lots to ask but yes, it can be daunting for a novice like me!

ychow's gear list:ychow's gear list
Nikon D500
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow