Heavy lens "balance" rant

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sts2
sts2 Contributing Member • Posts: 863
Heavy lens "balance" rant

So you know there's a lot of talk about size & weight, especially with regards to fullframe mirrorless camera's. But I'd like to add my own recent experience to the mix as food for thought on the "ergonomics" discussion.

I've used a 200-400mm VRII on a D850, and to be honest, I consider this "hand-holdable, but not for long". The weight of the lens just sits so far forward that on an (ungripped) body, the strain on the wrist gets uncomfortable. At least for me.

Tried a 300/2.8 VRII recently... which is only about 300gr lighter I believe (3kg vs 3.3kg), however the weight was far better distributed (probably mainly because it's a shorter lens). This one I was able to handhold an entire session for multiple hours, without any issue. The most important difference was that the lens wasn't trying to "tilt the camera upwards the whole time". Note: I'm not a strong guy by any means, but I do lift, so I'm used to moving around weight.

Bottom line... I really wonder how future mirrorless combinations will work with telephoto lenses. It's all well and good wanting to reduce size in the body, but if that unbalances the whole combination, it's wasted effort. We see that with Sony bodies already, it might also happen with Nikon in the future.

Any thoughts on this?

-- hide signature --

www.barbellphotography.com

sts2's gear list:sts2's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow