a99 user looking for advice on how to go on Locked

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 4,373
Probably

Calimu wrote:

It is slow and sluggish and the focus misses a lot and most lenses just don't seem to focus properly wide open. The lack of focus points also makes things more complicated for me, especially for portraits.

This does not match my experience with an a99. I'm wondering if there is a hardware issue with your camera, or an odd choice (perhaps by accident) of settings?

What lenses do you have?

Is the a99II worth it in that regard? I know there are more focus points but most of my lenses won't take advantage of that and I don't want to pay for features I won't be able to use.

I bought the a99ii despite being satisfied with my a99. Although, to be fair, I had dropped my a99 (shoulder height onto concrete) and the IBIS stopped functioning.

I have a combination of older Minolta and Sigma lenses, as well as some modern Tamron, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses. A mixture of screw drive and SSM(ish) AF, as well as a mixture of lenses that work with the hybrid AF points and those that don't. I am completely satisfied

The lenses that don't use the hybrid AF points still work fine, and better than on the a99. In particular, AF-C with expanded spot works very well with all my lenses including the 1980's beercan. For the lenses that use the hybrid AF points— wow! Dead on focus even far off the center. The a99ii has many more features than just the expanded focus points, even new AF options. You know your wants and needs better than I do, of course— but I went with the a99ii and am quite happy with it. I might get another for a backup.

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow