Help! Very disappointing results with the Panasonic G9 and Leica 100-400mm

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chizuka
Chizuka Regular Member • Posts: 452
Help! Very disappointing results with the Panasonic G9 and Leica 100-400mm

I recently bought the Panasonic G9 (my first Panasonic camera, i.e. not an expert at using it). I took a lot of pictures of mallards with the Leica 100-400mm on a sunny day. I came home and was extremely disappointed to see the results. Here are a few examples of the pictures I took (SOOC, no PP). I was using OIS (and IBIS). The birds are not sharp and a lot of the feathers just look like they are “melted” into a glob. In some of the pictures where there are a lot of ducks, you can’t find any in sharp focus and w/ good details.

I wonder if I did something wrong or if it is the lens? Or the camera? Or both?

FYI, for bird photography, I have been using a Canon 7D MKII with the Canon 100-400mm IS II and was thinking of selling them if I got good results with the G9 + Leica 100-400. Now I don’t think I will because of these results. Is there anything you can tell me about what I might have done wrong.

The make mallard in the middle should be in focus and sharp.

The head of the mallard in the foreground and some of his feathers have lost their details. (melted effect)

The mallards in the middle should be in focus and sharp.

The focus in on the ducks on the ice  in the foreground especially the middle one, but the details are just not there.

Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow