Four Peaks, RX10 M1

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
KBKB Senior Member • Posts: 2,907
Re: Four Peaks, RX10 M1

Russ G wrote:

KBKB wrote:

Below is one of my shots of Four (minus one) Peaks. It was taken nearly two years ago during a hike to the summit of Brown's Peak, which is the leftmost of the peaks when viewed from the Phoenix area.

A view from Brown's Peak.

Nice shot! I've driven over the peaks twice, both times when there was considerable snow. Most people don't realize how high those peaks really are (Brown's Peak is at 7,657 feet).

We encountered snow from time to time during our hike in March of '16. When we encountered it fairly early on after leaving Lone Pine Trailhead (which is also the parking area), I was concerned that it might prevent us from reaching the top. But the couloir which leads much of the way up was largely clear of snow, so we were able to do it.

One time, while attempting to do it with my brother, we encountered knee deep snow on the lower portions of the Amethyst trail - this was well before the fire when that trail was still easy to follow. On that particular day, I think we only made it to Brown's Saddle before returning via Brown's Trail. (On our hike in 2016, we tried to come down the Amethyst Trail. Despite having a GPS route, damage from the fire in '96 still made it bewilderingly hard to find the trail in many places.)

Here's a few more photos from that trip in March of '16. I hope you don't mind me posting them in your thread.

Snow on Brown's Peak Trail #133.

The couloir which leads much of the way up was largely free of snow, however.

There's some really fun hiking on the way to the couloir.

It's moderately steep in a few spots. (Or even really steep depending on how you feel about such places.)

Looking down at where we had to descend next. I think we went down the obvious dihedral near the bottom of the photo. One of our companions was waiting for us further below.

KBKB's gear list:KBKB's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R II Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow