Loxia 25 on its way...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 4,135
Re: Loxia 28 would make more sense

terryreid wrote:

Steve W wrote:

rjp85 wrote:

BBQue wrote:

let’s hope the rumor is false (as they usually are) and we will see L28 instead.

Nope it's real, but the good news is that Zeiss has a tradition of 21mm, 25mm, and 28mm in sets.

So even though this new Loxia is a 25mm, that doesn't mean a 28mm isn't coming. I will be buying both!

I know everyone has specific focal length they want from Zeiss in either in Batis or Loxia and it appears frustrating if your waiting for them to come out with one and its not the one you want and then you think, "But they already have that in Batis!". Well even I think that and I own lenses from both families.

Bottom line to me is they are not duplicate lenses even if the FL is the same and the two families attract different buyers and its appears there are fans of both.

Everyone wants to beat up Zeiss about one 25mm lens focal length alternative and yet Sony has 3 UWA zooms and the same for mid range zooms and telephoto zooms, 2 85mm, 2 35mm, 3 50-55mm and they are viewed as providing more options.

Yes but at greatly different price points. Auto and other mfgs have good, better, best price points not the same and both Ziess products are priced roughly the same. I don't think too many people would disagree that a 28mm would be prefereable to a 25mm also.

Personally I think each lens family, Batis, Loxia, GM, G, Zeiss/Sony are targeting different user needs and I for one am a fan of having consistent feel and rendering in a family so having more focal lengths in a family is how I think it should be done and I support that approach. If you really like Loxia then you want all your lenses like that from UW to Telephoto so you want a 15, 18, 21, 25, 28, 35, 50, 85, 100, and 135 to choose from. You don't care about Batis. If your a Batis fan you want the same thing in the Batis line so you can choose the FL you favor (or buy all if you really want to.) I don't know how profitable the lens business is for Zeiss but I will let them worry about that and I will worry that I can get the focal length I want with the quality and ergonomics I desire.

I do not know too many people who would spend $5,000 for four lenses within a 10mm FL like 18 thru 28mm you have listed above. There are some no doubt but 98% of photographers would not own four expensive lenses that close together especially when none of them are 1.4 lenses.

Steve W

Didn't mean to say you would by all the ones I stated just know in other families Zeiss has done those to give their customer the option to pick the ones they want. For me I would like the 15, 21, and 35. Others may prefer the 28 or  some like the 25.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow