2017 iMac: i7-7700K hot & loud, i5-7600 cool & quiet

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
mrmut Contributing Member • Posts: 602
Re: Is the noisy fan/i7 issue just a 27" iMac problem, not 21.5"?

Mike Boreham wrote:

There is a lot of subjectivity and many variables in this situation (including how my powerful hearing aids amplify the sound, although their response is supposed to match my loss).

All I can say is that having been alerted to the noise problem on the 27" i7, and now having experienced max load and revs, that it is not a problem for me with my 21.5" i7.

This may be due to my hearing (but fact that my wife does not find it annoying somewhat counters this) or it may be that the 21.5" behaves differently.

I haven't seen any 21.5" i7 owner mentioning noise here, or in the long MacRumors thread, but the 27" machines seem to outnumber the 21.5"s at least in the forums.

Your hearing aid, should not amplify fan noises. It should have algorithms that remove "noise". Other than that, this thread begun by an OP returning 4.2 GHz iMac due to noise, and getting quieter 3.5 GHz machine.

Audio forums, where people are quite sensitive (and aware) of noise is full of comments re 4.2 and 3.8 GHz units producing it in problematic quantities on a regular basis.

As to if 2800 RPM is a "problem" or not, I would say that it is, and a big one.

mrmut's gear list:mrmut's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-450 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow